Monday, October 11, 2010

The Deceitfulness of Riches.

This phrase, "the deceitfulness of riches' used to be a meaningless phrase to me. I had no clue what it meant in relation to my life. I suppose if I were rich, I'd know what it means, but for my family who was just trying to get by - well, I didn't think it applied to me. But, today, or at least this week - I got a tiny glimpse into it's meaning. My husband works for a company that has a Business Jet. Only the top executives get to use the jet. It's one of those modes of transportation that I've only read about, and seen pictures of - in expensive magazines. The Jet costs around 50 Million and it seats 5 people. This week, my husband was invited to be one of 5 people, who will be 'taking the jet' to a business meeting outside this country. When I heard that - I kept thinking, "I'm rich. I must be rich. My husband is taking the corporate jet to his meeting." I thought that every day, and the more I thought it, the more important I became in my own mind. "I am the wife of a very important executive who is going to be taking a 'private, corporate, 50 million dollar jet' to his next meeting." Now, I'm really the same woman, who struggles with the same financial pressures I had last week, when I didn't know Tom would be using the corporate jet - but somehow the deceitfulness of riches - made me think higher of myself. Or elevate myself. Maybe that's what Jesus meant when he talked about "the deceitfulness of wealth' - maybe part of the deceit that wealth brings - is it makes us think higher of ourselves than we ought. Maybe it makes us think so high of ourselves that we look down on others, and even God. Maybe poverty brings a clarity - a humility that causes us to look up. The deceitfulness of riches and the private jet - I experienced it a bit this week.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome stuff, M, I appreciate your transparency in writing this.

    Recently I've noticed, too, that sometimes people who are the opposite of rich are deceived into believing that wealth will solve all of their problems. A very deep verse to ponder.

    :-)

    v

    ReplyDelete