Thursday, October 21, 2010

The connection between prayer and humility

I was meditating on a verse the other day. (First, may I say, when I meditate, I'm not sitting in a room cross legged, saying 'om' over and over. Instead, I'm going about my day, doing dishes, making beds, running errands, but through the day I'm going over a verse, and trying to figure out how it works in my life.) This day, the verse was just 3 words long. It was a command. PRAY ABOUT EVERYTHING. I was trying to put that command into practice. EVERYTHING? You want me to Pray about EVERYTHING. What about finding my pencil? PRAY ABOUT EVERYTHING. What about the tiny things, every minute...help me be patient with my daughter. Help me not yell at that driver. Help me not eat that Chocolate Eclair while I'm on this diet. EVERYTHING. Pray about Everything. And then the thought came into my head, that God doesn't want to be bothered with the small things. And instantly I knew that was a lie from the Father of Lies...because the opposite is true. 1. God does want...he wants a relationship with me that is dependant on me responding to him and relating to him. And 2. I am not bothering him - I am delighting him. Every time I pray - he is delighted. And he inhabits my praises. WOW, when I praise, I am making a place for God to dwell...now that's a thought. But, there is one more reason that came to me, as a good reason to pray about everything, no matter how tiny: it takes humility to pray. It takes humility to ask for help on every little thing. And God wants me humble, so he can lift me up. (Humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you...) And oh the heights to which HE lifts. Praying keeps me humble. When I don't pray, I'm saying, "I can do it on my own." And you know that's what Satan said.

4 comments: